When we book our vacations, we all plan for sunny days and great weather. Sometimes mother nature has different plans for us. So, check the weather in advance and come prepared if you know the weather is going to be rainy! Here are some of our rainy-day activities.
1) Play a board game. All our cottages come with games! But if you have your favourites or have young kids, we suggest bringing your game with you. This is a great way to pass an afternoon.
2) Read a book. Find a cozy space inside or a covered space outside and curl up to read your favourite book. Many of the cottages have books to read in case you forget yours.
3) Go for a walk. If there is no thunder or lightening this is a fun activity in the rain. We have all been caught in a rain shower at some time and what better time to do it then at the cottage. I bet your kids love to play in the rain and splash in the puddles. Who knows, you may see different wildlife out on a rain walk.
4) Bake. Include the kids in some simple baking that don’t require a lot of ingredients. You likely have what you need to make something like Rice Krispy squares or a quick trip to the local corner store will yield all you need for chocolate chips cookies or a cake. Keeps the kids entertained and helps you with dinner!
5) Crafts. We always suggest that you bring along crafts for your kids if it is going to rain. You can google simple cottage crafts and they can typically be done with crayons/markers, paper, glue, paint or whatever you find outside life pinecones, driftwood, and sea glass.
6) Swim. We all know the rules about swimming. If there is no thunder and lightning – swimming is a go! You are going to get wet anyway so don’t let some rain ruin your trip! As a kid some of our best memories are swimming in the rain! Give it a try. Your kids will love it!
7) Check out a local museum or attraction. There is a lot of history in some of these small towns in cottage country. Take advantage of a rainy day to visit a local museum or attend a local attraction and not only learn about the area but submerse yourself in the local culture. You won’t regret it!
8) Make it a double header movie party. There is nothing better than a movie afternoon! Grab some popcorn, dim the lights, pull out the blankets and pillows and lie down on the floor and watch your double header!
9) Dance Party. If the rain doesn’t let up, don’t worry. After dinner you can turn on some music and have a family dance party!
10) Go into “town” and explore the area. Many of us rent a cottage and never leave the cottage. A rainy day or even part of a day is a great time to go for a drive and look around, visit a local restaurant, brewery or browse the stores on the main streets of the small towns. They rely on us as for their livelihood in the cottage season so please shop local!
As always, we look forward to hearing from you!